Juice Your Way To Health
May 28, 2012 by Peggy Layton
Itâ€™s time to plant our gardens so we can reap the wonderful benefits of eating fresh, organic fruits and vegetables. Planting a garden is the one way to ensure that there are no chemicals, pesticides, additives or preservatives in our food. Most people do not get enough servings of fruits and vegetables per day; juicing your excess produce is one way to ensure you are getting the vital nutrients you need.
I have a Growing DomeÂ® Greenhouse from a company called Growing Spaces. I grow vegetables year-round, and I juice the excess that would have gone to waste. My chickens are well fed on all the peelings and pulp left over from the juicing.
I decided to get into juicing fruits and vegetables as a way to become healthier. About a month ago, I found out I have type 2 Diabetes. My father died of diabetes when he was 54 years old, and I am 55 now. I believed I could beat the family curse by just eating well. I was in denial most of the time until I had an overload of stressful issues in my life, which resulted in me feeling worse and worse. I went to the doctor and, sure enough, I had developed diabetes.
I was inspired after watching the movie â€śFat, Sick & Nearly Dead.â€ť Australian Joe Cross made this amazing movie. Like many Americans and Australians, Cross worked very hard, played hard and ate too much.Â After years of self-abuse, Cross tipped the scales at more than 300 pounds.Â The extra weight caused serious health problems for which he took medication. He had no energy, he didnâ€™t feel well and he was at risk for a heart attack.
One day, Cross was inspired to start using fresh organic fruits and leafy vegetables to juice his way to health. He realized he needed to change his routine in order to change his life.
Cross enlisted the help of his doctor and began a 60-day juice fast.Â He traveled across the country with a juicer in the back of his car to share his newfound love of juicing and talk with people about their lifestyle habits and hopes for the future.Â The inspirational journey was documented in his film.
Remarkably, Cross lost 82 pounds on his juice fast and helped many others to do the same.Â His documentary has circulated the Internet, and many people are asking him how he did it.
Cleanse the body with juicing
What I decided to do is every time I get a craving for chocolate, soda, cakes, treats or carbs of any kinds, I make a green juice drink — enough for the whole day. I keep it in the refrigerator and grab a glass four to five times a day. I started doing so, and my blood sugar readings started to improve. I actually feel so much better after drinking a glass of juice. I have a boost of energy and can think much more clearly. I am going to continue this routine as my health improves. I am still eating a healthy meal once a day and drinking juice the rest of the time. Some people go on juice cleanses without food.
One-day cleanses will help you get in the routine of juice fasting for an entire day. Then you can increase to a three-day cleanse, then a five-day cleanse, then a seven-day cleanse. You drink the fresh juice for the entire time. Do not eat any meat or other food. This will cleanse your body of harmful toxins and assist your own body to rebuild healthy cells.
The reason for not eating during a juice cleanse is so that the colon does not use energy to digest new foods entering the body. This gives the body nutrients and removes the built-up foods, fecal matter and toxins that have not previously been absorbed by the body, thus resulting in weight loss. Juices also strengthen the healthy cells, neutralize acidity and alkalize the tissues in the body â€“ all of which boosts the immune system. Juices give you the live enzymes that the body does not get from fast food or nutritionally dead food.
How To Make Green Drink
To make green juice, use 60 percent dark green leafy vegetables and 40 percent other vegetables or fruits. It is best to add only 25 percent fruit. You donâ€™t want too much fruit because it will spike your insulin. The fruit is just to sweeten the greens and make them palatable.
The most common vegetables for juicing are: spinach, wheat grass, green cabbage, parsley, romaine lettuce, celery, chard, beets and beet greens, mustard greens, collards, kale, cilantro, cucumber, green peppers, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, various herbs and dandelion greens. When taken in juice form, the nutrients of fresh green drinks quickly absorb into the body, giving it a quick energy boost. Green leafy vegetables contain the most vitamins and nutrients, and youâ€™ll feel almost instantly better after drinking a glass of green juice.
You can try variations of any of the green recipes until you find one that suits your needs and tastes.Â For a juice cleanse, drink about four 16-ounce drinks per day.Â IfÂ you are making a whole dayâ€™s worth of juice at one time, keep the extra juice in a tightly sealed container in the fridge.
Hints For Starting A Juice Fast
- If you are on any medications or have any health problems, consult a medical doctor and have him or her monitor your progress.
- Start out with a small goal of one to seven days.Â This makes the task more manageable mentally, and it makes it easier to chart daily progress. Cross went on a 60-day juice fast and did not eat any other food. He made fresh juice every day and lived on it for two months.
- It is best to prepare mentally and physically for at least a week prior to cleansing.
- Your health comes first, so take it easy. If you have something stressful coming up, wait until it is over. You must be 100 percent prepared for this challenge. Take a few days off work and lighten up on your responsibilities. Your body will be cleansing during this period, so you will need to be home near the bathroom so it can detox and eliminate.Â Light exercise or walking is all you need to do to assist your cleanse. I love to do stretching exercises like yoga. It makes me feel so much better to do this at least 30 to 60 min per day.
- Drink half your body weight in ounces of water. For example, if you weigh 200 pounds, you need to drink 100 ounces of water per day. Water has an important function of flushing out the toxins and waste.Â If you cannot drink that much, drink as much as you can and work up to it.
- It is normal to experience diarrhea, light headaches and fatigue in the first few days.
- Purchase organic produce whenever possible.
- Wash all vegetables and fruits before making juice.
- Peel or slice off lemon, orange and grapefruit rind, leaving some of the white pith on the outside.
- When juicing small leaves such as parsley, cilantro and herbs with stems, chop them into smaller pieces or roll them up into a ball to compact the leaves. The stems contain more juice than the leaves so use them all.
- Take all hard pits out of the fruit before juicing.
- Itâ€™s good to use different recipes of mixed vegetables and fruit so you get a good variety of nutrients during the fast.
- Spinach and broccoli have protein in them, so they can be used to replace your daily protein intake. If you are concerned about not getting enough protein, you can add a tablespoon of dried wheat or barley green drink powder.
- Juice should be made fresh every day; it will last up to 24 hours in the refrigerator. Keep it in a mason jar with a lid or an airtight container of some kind.
Using A Blender
A blender is different from a juicer.Â It does not remove the fiber from the juice; therefore, your body is still digesting food.Â The point of a juice cleanse is to relieve the body from digesting for a few days.Â I recommend buying a high-quality juicer. If you do not have a juicer, you can use a blender, NinjaÂ® or a VitamixÂ® to blend your foods, then strain them through a metal strainer or cheesecloth to manually remove the fiber.
Using A Juicer
I have been researching different juicers on the market, and I have decided that I like the HUROMÂ® Slow Juicer. I purchased one and am very satisfied with the results. Hereâ€™s what the company has to say about its juicer:
The HUROMÂ® Slow Juicer is a juice extractor that uses the patented Low Speed Technology System (LSTS) to extract juices. It is called a “Slow Juicer” because it operates at only 80 RPM and uses a mere 150 Watts of energy, instead of 1,000-24,000 RPM and up to 1,500 Watts of energy like a typical centrifugal “High Speed” juicer.
But don’t let the name fool you. The Slow Juicer actually juices faster than most typical juicers and expels significantly more juice from the same foods, with much drier pulp. The method of extraction is masticating and pressing, using the screw-like auger as a mortar and pestle. The action crushes and presses the food, releasing its deep-seated nutrients and enzymes. It also breaks up more of the phytonutrients, resulting in a richer colored juice that retains more vitamins and minerals. The slow RPM ensures that the cellular structure of fruits and vegetables is kept intact, eliminating oxidation and separation. Thus, it preserves the precious enzymes and nutrients that are closest to its natural form, as well as your food’s delicious flavor.
To learn more about the HUROMÂ® Slow Juicer click here.
Recipes For Making Healthy Juices
Green Juice No. 1
This is the official recipe used by Cross in â€śFat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.â€ť
- 6 kale leaves
- 1 cucumber
- 4 celery stalks
- 2 green apples
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 piece of ginger (1 inch in length)
Green Juice No. 2
- A handful of spinach
- 3 stalks of kale
- 2 golden delicious apples
- a small handful of parsley
- 1 lemon
- 1 cucumber
Green Juice No. 3
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/2 apple
- 1/2 lemon
- A small piece of ginger
- 1 stalk green chard with leaf
- A bunch of cilantro
- 5 kale leaves
- A handful of spinach
- 1 cup watermelon and cantaloupe cubes
- 1/2 lemon, peeled
- 6 strawberries
- 1 slice of pineapple
- 1 orange, peeled
- 1 apple
I go through my refrigerator and take out all the fruits and vegetables that have not been eaten. If they are starting to dry up or wilt or go bad, I cut the bad spots off and juice them. You can make your own recipe using what you have. Just remember the rule: 60 percent green, leafy vegetables to 40 percent sweet vegetables and fruits.
Add ION (Stabilized Oxygen) To Juices
I like to add 8 drops of ION stabilized oxygen to my juices because it kills any bacteria that might be on the food. This is especially important if the food comes from foreign countries. It also oxygenates the blood which is very beneficial to boosting the immune system and cleansing the body. Fruits and vegetables can be soaked in ION water to cleanse the produce and to kill pathogens.
To order the HUROMÂ® Slow Juicer, Wheat Grass Live Greens Powder and ION to add to the juices click here.