Yemen Still Investigating Saleh Attack

0 Shares

SANAA, Yemen, Aug. 8 (UPI) — Yemeni authorities said they were still investigating the June 3 attack that put the country’s president in the hospital for more than two months.

Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh and Prime Minister Ali Mohammed Mujawar were released from a military hospital in Saudi Arabia last weekend. Both were gravely injured in a June 3 attack on a mosque at the presidential palace in Sanaa.

Authorities in Yemen said they were still investigating the attack, the officials Saba news agency reports.

An editorial in Saba last month said members of the opposition movement in Yemen were collaborating with al-Qaida to overthrow the government, saying there were similarities between the attack and the October 2000 attack by al-Qaida against the USS Cole in the Gulf of Aden.

Saleh has clung to power for much of the year. Despite international pressure to do so, he’s refused to sign a deal brokered by the Gulf Cooperation Council to resign.

Opposition groups have been calling for an interim council created to prevent his return. Saleh has ruled Yemen since 1978.

A return date to Yemen by either leader wasn’t announced.

UPI - United Press International, Inc.

Since 1907, United Press International (UPI) has been a leading provider of critical information to media outlets, businesses, governments and researchers worldwide.

Join the Discussion

Comment Policy: We encourage an open discussion with a wide range of viewpoints, even extreme ones, but we will not tolerate racism, profanity or slanderous comments toward the author(s) or comment participants. Make your case passionately, but civilly. Please don't stoop to name calling. We use filters for spam protection. If your comment does not appear, it is likely because it violates the above policy or contains links or language typical of spam. We reserve the right to remove comments at our discretion.