U.S. Considering Cuts To Nuclear Arms

0 Shares

The Administration of President Barack Obama is weighing options for significant new cuts to the U.S. nuclear force, including a potential 80 percent reduction in the number of deployed weapons, The Associated Press reported.

According to the news outlet, the most modest option under consideration by the President would be a historic step toward disarmament, and a move closer to Obama’s 2009 pledge to pursue the elimination of nuclear weapons.

The Wall Street Journal reported that the lower end of the cuts would limit the total number of warheads to 300, according to a U.S. official.

Pentagon spokesman George Little said the details of the proposals remain classified, but confirmed that the Department of Defense had been asked to create proposals for nuclear deterrence.

“The president asked DoD to develop several alternative approaches to deterrence and stability, to include illustrative force size and postures to best support those alternatives,” Little said in a statement.

The Journal reported that the Senate in 2010 ratified the New Start pact with Russia, a treaty that set the current limit of 1,550 warheads, as the bipartisan support for its passage came after the Obama Administration pledged to modernize America’s nuclear weapons.

Special To Personal Liberty

You Sound Off! is written by our readers and appears the last Wednesday of each month. If you would like to submit an article or letter to the editor for consideration for You Sound Off!, send it to yousoundoff@personalliberty.com by the Friday before the last Wednesday of the month. To be considered, a submission should be 750 words or less and must include the writer's name, address and a telephone number. Only the writer's name will be published. Anonymous submissions will not be considered.