U.N. falling short on Yemen, HRW says
October 3, 2011 by UPI - United Press International, Inc.
A resolution passed recently by the Human Rights Council "takes note" of the calls by Yemen to examine the conflict in the country. Human Rights Watch said there were no calls for international oversight, however, amid an escalating human rights crisis in Yemen.
Juliette de Rivero, the Geneva director at Human Right Watch, condemned what she saw as a tepid response from the world body.
"After a year of steady progress in addressing dire human rights situations around the globe, the Human Rights Council's action on Yemen is a step backward for the protection of those at risk," she said in a statement.
The rights group said it had evidence to suggest more than 200 people were killed in attacks by security forces and fighters loyal to Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh since the uprising against him started in February.
"Scores of people" have been killed in the last few weeks, Human Rights Watch said, as the security situation there deteriorates.
Violence greeted Saleh's return home last month following an extended hospital stay in Saudi Arabia, where he was recovering from wounds suffered during a June attack on his presidential compound.
Anwar al-Awlaki, a key figure in al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, was reportedly killed last week in Yemen by a missile allegedly fired from a U.S. drone.