Sinus infections affect about 30 million U.S. adults annually. Many people get them twice a year. The standard treatment protocol is a round of antibiotics and steroids taken orally or by nasal spray.
Next time you’re hit with a sinus infection, try these natural remedies instead:
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is a natural miracle worker. It works as a digestive aid, pain reliever and weight-loss agent; and it will help relax restless legs. It can also help knock out sinus infections. Add 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon of honey to 8 ounces of water. Or, if you can handle the taste, take 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar three times a day. It can also be mixed half and half with water and used as steam to inhale. Keep your eyes and mouth closed while over the steam. Organic apple cider vinegar is better.
- Turmeric: A powerful compound found in turmeric is curcumin. It helps to heal the sinus cavity and clear airways. It has natural anti-inflammatory properties.
- Nasal saline rinse: Make a rinse from ¼ teaspoon of sea salt or pickling salt, a pinch of baking soda, a capful of food-grade hydrogen peroxide and 1 cup of warm water. Use a bulb to apply the rinse.
- Oregano oil: It can be ingested or used in a steam to inhale (keep eyes closed). It also helps with digestion and to fight other infections.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is a key player in having and maintaining total health. Its benefits are unbelievable. It is a potent neuroregulatory steroidal hormone that influences nearly 3,000 of our 25,000 genes. Vitamin D influences dozens of conditions. Here are a few: cancer, heart disease, hypertension, obesity, diabetes types 1 and 2, cold, flu, aging signs, osteoporosis, seizures, Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, schizophrenia, inflammation, inflammatory bowel disease, multiple sclerosis, infertility, depression, asthma and many more. Few are the doctors who tell you of vitamin D’s benefits. Adequate vitamin D levels will almost eliminate the chance for infection. I take 30,000 IU each day.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is an excellent immune booster that will help you fight off sinus infections before they start. Take 1,000 mg one to three times each day.