You may have heard your doctor tell you about the dangers of too much salt in your diet. He is talking about sodium chloride — a chemical and not true salt.
Unrefined natural sea salt is different from common table salt, which is chemically treated and stripped of minerals such as calcium, magnesium and potassium.
Not only does natural sea salt add flavor to your favorite foods, but it can also help with many different health conditions. According to the book Water & Salt, The Essence of Life by Barbara Hendel, sea salt has been shown to:
- Help reduce the acidity of your tissues.
- Help stabilize irregular heartbeats.
- Balance blood sugar levels.
- Revitalize nerve cell communication with your brain.
- Help with the absorption process in your intestinal tract.
- Prevent muscle cramps.
When shopping for sea salt, be sure that it has not been refined or boiled to produce the crystals. The sea salt should be harvested and allowed to dry by evaporation in order to be labeled “natural.”