Syrian Forces Kill 350 During Ramadan
August 22, 2011 by UPI - United Press International, Inc.
UNITED NATIONS, Aug. 22 (UPI) — More than 350 people in Syria were killed by security forces since the start of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, a U.N. official said Monday.
Members of the international community last week called on Syrian President Bashar Assad to step down in response to his country’s brutal crackdown on civilian demonstrators. A U.N. human rights report accused Assad’s regime of war crimes and suggested intervention from the International Criminal Court.
Navi Pillay, the U.N. high commissioner for human rights, in statements Monday before the U.N. Human Rights Council, said nearly 40 people were killed by Syrian forces since Assad told the United Nations that military operations in his country ended Wednesday.
Pillay said Syrian forces are still using “excessive force” throughout the country. “As of today, over 2,200 people have been killed since mass protests began in mid-March, with more than 350 people reportedly killed across Syria since the beginning of Ramadan,” she added.
Assad during the weekend said reform was the best way to resolve the crisis in his country, a pledge that has so far rung hallow with members of the international community.
“The solution in Syria is political, but when there are security cases, they must be confronted through the competent institutions,” he told Syrian television in a weekend interview.