Comments Subscribe to Personal Liberty News Feed Subscribe to Personal Liberty
 

Study: Height And General Intelligence Linked

EDINBURGH, Scotland (UPI) — People who are shorter than average are more likely to have lower IQs than those who are taller, researchers in Scotland and England said.

A joint study involving Edinburgh University, Aberdeen University and University College London, said the findings were based on data compiled on thousands of people recruited over a five-year period for the Scottish Family Health Study. Intelligence was determined by a series of tests.

Unlike previous studies, the researchers analyzed DNA markers in more than 6,800 unrelated people from 2006 to 2011.

The study, submitted to the Behaviour Genetics journal, found 70 percent of the link between height and IQ could be explained by genetics, but the remaining 30 percent was inked to environmental factors.

“We tested whether DNA-based genetic similarities among people related to their similarities in height and intelligence. Previous studies have used twin or family data to examine similarities between height and intelligence, whereas ours was the first to examine this using DNA markers in unrelated people,” Riccardo Marioni of Edinburgh University’s Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine told the Scotsman.com.

“We found a moderate and statistically significant genetic correlation between height and general intelligence.”

UPI - United Press International, Inc.

Since 1907, United Press International (UPI) has been a leading provider of critical information to media outlets, businesses, governments and researchers worldwide.

Facebook Conversations

Join the Discussion:
View Comments to “Study: Height And General Intelligence Linked”

Comment Policy: We encourage an open discussion with a wide range of viewpoints, even extreme ones, but we will not tolerate racism, profanity or slanderous comments toward the author(s) or comment participants. Make your case passionately, but civilly. Please don't stoop to name calling. We use filters for spam protection. If your comment does not appear, it is likely because it violates the above policy or contains links or language typical of spam. We reserve the right to remove comments at our discretion.

Is there news related to personal liberty happening in your area? Contact us at newstips@personalliberty.com

Bottom
close[X]

Sign Up For Personal Liberty Digest™!

PL Badge

Welcome to PersonalLiberty.com,
America's #1 Source for Libertarian News!

To join our group of freedom-loving individuals and to get alerts as well as late-breaking conservative news from Personal Liberty Digest™...

Privacy PolicyYou can opt out at any time. We protect your information like a mother hen. We will not sell or rent your email address to anyone for any reason.