During a House Oversight and Government Reform Committee hearing concerning the events leading up to the September 11, 2012 attacks on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, Thursday, Democrats left the room and refused to listen to the testimony of parents of those slain at the diplomatic compound.
Patricia Smith, the mother of information management officer Sean Smith , who was killed in the 9/11 Benghazi attack and Charles Woods, the father of Navy SEAL Tyrone Woods, who was also killed, testified about the lives and untimely deaths of their sons.
— Darrell Issa (@DarrellIssa) September 19, 2013
Right before the testimony began, according to a picture posted to Twitter by Representative Darryl Issa (R-Calif.), the majority of Democratic lawmakers excused themselves from the hearing.
According to reports, the only Democrats who stayed were Ranking Member Elijah Cummings (Md.) and Representative Jackie Speier (Calif.).
Issa also provided video of the emotional testimony wherein Ms. Smith explains how the government has ignored her and lied to her as she sought answers about her son’s death.
Here’s a list and links to the websites of the Democrats on the Committee.
- Rep. Carolyn Maloney (NY-14)
- Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D.C.)
- Rep. John Tierney (MA-6)
- Rep. Wm. Lacy Clay (MO-1)
- Rep. Stephen Lynch (MA-9)
- Rep. Jim Cooper (TN-5)
- Rep. Gerald Connolly (VA-11)
- Rep. Matt Cartwright (PA-17)
- Rep. Mark Pocan (WI-2)
- Rep. Tammy Duckworth (IL-8)
- Rep. Danny K. Davis (IL-7)
- Rep. Peter Welch (VT)
- Rep. Tony Cardenas (CA-29)
- Rep. Steve Horsford (NV-4)
- Rep. Michelle Lujan Grisham (NM-1)