Source: DA To Drop Strauss-Kahn Charges
August 22, 2011 by UPI - United Press International, Inc.
NEW YORK, Aug. 22 (UPI) — New York’s district attorney will ask a judge to dismiss the sexual-assault case against Dominique Strauss-Kahn, a person briefed on the matter said.
The office of Cyrus Vance Jr. has prepared a “dismissal on recommendation” motion that would detail the reasons Vance and his aides believe the case could not be proved beyond a reasonable doubt, the person told The New York Times.
The motion was expected to be presented at a court hearing Tuesday.
If the judge follows the recommendation and dismisses the seven-count indictment, Strauss-Kahn — led out of a police building in handcuffs in May and held under house arrest until his bail conditions were relaxed last month — would be free to return to France.
His accuser, Nafissatou Diallo, was summoned to a meeting with prosecutors Monday. They were expected to tell her at the meeting the charges will be abandoned, the British newspaper The Guardian reported.
Diallo alleged Strauss-Kahn, 62, attempted to rape her after she went to clean his New York hotel suite. The former International Monetary Fund chief, who had been considered a potential candidate for president of France, has said the sexual encounter was consensual and her accusations were an attempt to extort money.
Dropping the charges would leave Diallo with no recourse to pursue criminal charges. She has filed a civil lawsuit seeking unspecified monetary damages from Strauss-Kahn for what the suit called a “violent and sadistic attack” that humiliated and degraded her.