Many people drink soft drinks to the exclusion or near exclusion of all other beverages. Many choose diet soft drinks, foolishly thinking they are healthier choices.
According to a study in the American Journal of Public Health, if you consume more than two cans of soda each day, you can increase your chances of suffering from depression and anxiety by as much as three times the risk faced by those who drink few to no sodas.
Check out even more evidence that sodas are just plain bad for your health:
- According to an analysis of 88 reports led by Kelly D. Brownell, Ph.D., of Yale’s Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity, sodas increase your calorie intake by more than the calorie content of the drinks themselves, which indicates that they may increase your hunger or decrease your sense of fullness or both.
- Sodas can lead to weight gain. Drinking one soda each day can cause you to pack on as much as 15 pounds in just one year.
- Drinking sodas may cause a decrease in your calcium intake and an increase in fractures.
- Soda consumption may lead to higher cholesterol levels and an elevated risk of type 2 diabetes.
- People who drink diet soda daily have a 61 percent higher risk of suffering a stroke or heart attack than those who drink no diet drinks, according to research by the American Stroke Association’s International Stroke Conference.
- The sugar content of soda isn’t the only guilty ingredient in the destruction of your dental health. The phosphoric acid in soda erodes your tooth enamel even if the soda is sweetened with artificial sweeteners instead of sugar. The acidity of many sodas can be as strong as battery acid.
- Researchers are saying that drinking two or more sodas a day almost doubles your chance for early signs of kidney disease, especially if you’re a woman.
Finally, most sodas contain high fructose corn syrup. HFCS does four things:
- Blocks the assimilation of calcium.
- Causes cancer in test animals and predisposes humans to cancer.
- Bypasses the pancreas as a synthetic sugar. This eventually causes the pancreas to shut down, leading to diabetes.
- Causes obesity and is highly addictive.
Diet drinks that contain no HFCS are equally unhealthy. The sweetener aspartame is a neurotoxin. In the body it breaks down into phenylalanine, aspartic acid and methanol. When methanol is heated above 86 degrees F, it converts into formaldehyde. The human body’s resting temperature is 98.6 degrees F.