Security tightened at Trevi Fountain
ROME, Oct. 4 (UPI) -- Rome's Piazza Navona and the Trevi Fountain are closed to special events through the end of the year after recent vandalism to the iconic sites, the mayor said.
Rome Mayor Gianni Alemanno said the city is attempting to protect the "artistic and monumental heritage" of Rome's historic center, ANSA reported Tuesday.
The ban, in effect through Dec. 31, was issued after a local man last month broke the marble heads off two dragons in the Fountain of the Moor in Piazza Navona. The man also allegedly admitted throwing a brick at the Trevi Fountain.
The city decree said the ban will not affect the annual Christmas market or the Festa della Befana, which marks Epiphany.
UPI - United Press International, Inc. Since 1907, United Press International (UPI) has been a leading provider of critical information to media outlets, businesses, governments and researchers worldwide.
Join the Discussion:
View Comments to “Security tightened at Trevi Fountain”
Comment Policy: We encourage an open discussion with a wide range of viewpoints, even extreme ones, but we will not tolerate racism, profanity or slanderous comments toward the author(s) or comment participants. Make your case passionately, but civilly. Please don't stoop to name calling. We use filters for spam protection. If your comment does not appear, it is likely because it violates the above policy or contains links or language typical of spam. We reserve the right to remove comments at our discretion.
Is there news related to personal liberty happening in your area? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org