Seattle Riot Pits Clowns Versus Superheroes, Fed Sits On Rates, Your Brain Is Killing You, Go To College And Get A Sex Change, Joe Biden Makes No Sense: Thursday Morning News Roundup 5-2-2013
May 2, 2013 by Ben Bullard
Here is a collection of some of the stories that Personal Liberty staffers will be keeping an eye on throughout the day. Click the links for the full stories.
- Cops in Seattle quelled a melee after a public May Day protest, which drew out guys in superhero costumes vigilant in case the demonstrating clowns got rowdy — as they evidently have in past May Day events.
- Interest Rates aren’t going anywhere. The Federal Reserve announced Wednesday it would maintain rates as it continues to buy up bond assets at a rate of $85 billion per month. Chairman Ben Bernanke has said the Fed will hold rates at their historic lows until employment falls to 6.5 percent and inflation rises to 2.5 percent.
- Researchers at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine have figured out how to slow down and speed up the aging process in lab rats by playing with the hypothalamic region in their brains. One researcher said he sees no reason why the same thing can’t eventually be done in humans.
- Another elite university is adding sexual reassignment to its student healthcare plan, bringing the count to 37 U.S. schools that offer to help students pay for the procedure through insurance. There’s a price for everyone, though: Student fees are going up .03 percent to accommodate the elective procedure.
- You’re on your own with this one: Vice President Joe Biden overstretched his intellect again Wednesday at a Washington, D.C., fundraising event, dropping loose cannon fire on a supportive crowd with these zingers: Just like that guy who was afraid to tell anybody he’d been raped in that “Deliverance” movie, real rape victims “don’t want to get raped again by the system,” “there’s a snake in the bed” of young girls who turn a corner at some point during adolescence, and “[T]here should be two Senators from the State of D.C.”