Russian Arms Dealer Loses Out In Libya

0 Shares

MOSCOW, Aug. 17 (UPI) — The cancellation of weapons contracts from Libya cost a Russian state-run arms exporter $4 billion, a head of the company said Wednesday.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev last week said he supported the U.N. Security Council resolution in March that sanctioned international military action in Libya. Moscow abstained from voting on U.N. Security Council Resolution 1973, which called for “all necessary means” to protect civilians from attacks by forces loyal to Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi, however.

Anatoly Isaikin, head of arms exporter Rosoboronoexport, said his state-run company lost $4 billion because of the military conflict in Libya, Russia’s state-run news agency RIA Novosti reports.

Moscow is supporting the arms embargo on Libya and suspended all of its military contracts with the country, he stressed.

Isaikin added, however, that his company was expecting to sell around $9 billion worth of weapons and equipment in 2011, up from $8.5 million in 2010.

“I am sure that we will exceed this year’s targets — the amount will be $9 billion as a minimum,” he was quoted as saying.

UPI - United Press International, Inc.

Since 1907, United Press International (UPI) has been a leading provider of critical information to media outlets, businesses, governments and researchers worldwide.

Join the Discussion

Comment Policy: We encourage an open discussion with a wide range of viewpoints, even extreme ones, but we will not tolerate racism, profanity or slanderous comments toward the author(s) or comment participants. Make your case passionately, but civilly. Please don't stoop to name calling. We use filters for spam protection. If your comment does not appear, it is likely because it violates the above policy or contains links or language typical of spam. We reserve the right to remove comments at our discretion.