Reputed Mob Associate, 87, Gets 35 Years
August 17, 2011 by UPI - United Press International, Inc.
CHICAGO, Aug. 17 (UPI) — An 87-year-old reputed mob associate with a long arrest record in Chicago received his first prison sentence Wednesday, 35 years for building a bomb.
Samuel Volpendesto appeared in federal court in a wheelchair, the Chicago Tribune reported. His head drooped when he heard the sentence imposed by U.S. District Judge Ronald Guzman.
The sentence was the minimum set by federal law. Volpendesto was convicted of constructing the bomb used on a video poker business’s office, allegedly a target because it had moved in on territory controlled by Michael “the Large Guy” Sarno.
Volpendesto asked the judge for a sentence that would give him a chance of dying a free man, the Chicago Sun-Times said.
“I’m going to die anyways. I’d like to go out with a little honor,” he told the court. “I never made 2 cents hanging around them scumbags. I think everyone here knows what a scumbag is.”
Prosecutors said Volpendesto had been arrested more than 100 times but had never served a prison term.