The reader comments that continue to follow from our Tuesday article about one man’s effort to rally 2nd Amendment supporters for a nonviolent armed march on Washington, D.C., range from all-out enthusiasm for the idea to indignant disdain for firearms and their place in American life.
But the majority of comments you’re leaving reveal reasoned and thoughtful reflection on the implications of taking the fight to preserve the Constitutional right to bear arms — in such a very direct (and illegal) way — to the seat of power. Most of them don’t make for the kind of fodder the mainstream media craves in its ongoing depiction of gun rights watchers as mindless fools, trigger-happy gun addicts who fantasize about Taking The Power Back in some John Rambo-style orgy of revolt.
To be sure, readers largely agree that citizens must take their Constitutional rights back from the modern iteration of what American government was originally designed to be. But most readers also assert that this proposed July 4 armed demonstration isn’t the flashpoint for that kind of revolution, and that there are better and more effective ways to hold our leaders accountable to their oaths.
And, as the comments from a few veterans demonstrate, those who defend the idea largely do so with a passion informed by conscience, experience and sacrifice.
Some excerpted highlights of your conversation (so far). Only formatting changes have been made to what readers have written:
- …NO FIREARMS! That is an invitation to disaster. I can’t think of a better way to convince the statists that the 2nd Amendment has to go, along with private ownership of firearms. This is either a false flag effort to convince middle America that gun owners are gun nuts or just the stupidest idea in a long time, rivaling some of the BHO administration’s stupid ideas.
- While I can support the march itself I cannot support being armed especially openly. The chances of Bloomberg inserting a ringer with instructions to start something quite possibly including firing shots is just too great.
- Bad, Bad, Bad Idea. Let the 2nd Amendment “Speak For Itself” Please don’t fall for this “Trap” because that will be all it takes for every anti – 2nd Amendment Agency in this Country to scream “See, We Were Right” Guns must be confiscated from everyone!!
- You know that this will NEVER remain peaceful despite your best intentions! That does not make the MSM happy or give them a news bite! You are setting up Patriots for Liberal slaughter in the media or bloody on the pavement.
- I am a STRONG Supporter of the 2nd Amendment!!! But This march has “FAIL” Written all over it! One Itchy Finger and it will turn into a BLOOD BATH! Exactly what the Libs Want! Martial Law and WE all are in for a BAD TIME!!!
- … IT’S A GOOD IDEA LIKE I SAID, JUST NOT AT THIS PARTICULAR POINT IN TIME. WAY TOO MUCH POTENTIAL FOR THINGS TO GO HORRIBLY WRONG, IF YA ASK ME !!! REMEMBER THE LESSONS OF “LIBERALISM 101″ – “NEVER LET A CRISIS GO TO WASTE”. WELL, HERE’S A PERFECT OPPORTUNITY FOR A “MANUFACTURED” CRISIS………………………………….
- …The 2nd Amendment does not automatically give credibility and trust to those who open carry. A huge responsibility comes with the right to own and carry guns.
While it’s too long to quote, scroll down and check out BrotherPatriot’s seven-step alternative method for carrying out the march without inducing anyone to violate the law.
Finally, one endorsement of the demonstration that’s hard to read with a dry eye:
This old Vietnam vet will be there. I just hope that I can get some help up the hills in my wheelchair. I can only walk about 300 yards. I will not be carrying a gun, but a Bible and a copy of the bill of Rights will be on my lap.