Phone Hacking Investigation Hits U.S.
July 30, 2011 by UPI - United Press International, Inc.
NEW YORK, July 30 (UPI) — The British phone hacking scandal, which forced the closure of London’s News of the World, has reached the United States, officials said.
News Corp.’s legal department Friday issued a memo to the New York Post to save any information related to phone hacking or payments to government officials, The Wall Street Journal reported.
Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp owns the New York Post and the Wall Street Journal.
In a memo to staff, Post editor Col Allan said the measure wasn’t taken because there is evidence of improprieties at U.S. papers, and “not because any recipient has done anything improper or unlawful.”
The U.S. Justice Department said last week it was preparing subpoenas into reports related to foreign bribery and the hacking of voice mail of victims of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on the United States. It didn’t provide any further details.
A News Corp. official declined to say if the company has received any subpoenas related to the investigations or whether News Corp. would widen its order to other News Corp. newspapers, the Journal reported.