One Student Wounded, Alleged Shooter ‘neutralized’ At Nevada School

0 Shares

SPARKS, Nev. (UPI) — At least one student at a Nevada middle school was shot Monday morning as classes got under way, causing the school to be evacuated, officials say.

Officials in the town of Sparks said the alleged shooter was dead, the Reno Gazette-Journal reported.

The shooting occurred about 7:30 a.m. at Sparks Middle School, police said. The school was initially locked down, but students were later transported to an elementary school.

Later, students from both schools were taken to Sparks High School where parents were allowed to pick them up.

Authorities said the suspect had been “neutralized,” ABC News reported.

Circumstances that led to the shooting were not yet known.

Sparks City Manager Shawn Carey said the shooter died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the Gazette-Journal reported.

Sparks is just a few miles east of Reno, Nev.

UPI - United Press International, Inc.

Since 1907, United Press International (UPI) has been a leading provider of critical information to media outlets, businesses, governments and researchers worldwide.

Join the Discussion

Comment Policy: We encourage an open discussion with a wide range of viewpoints, even extreme ones, but we will not tolerate racism, profanity or slanderous comments toward the author(s) or comment participants. Make your case passionately, but civilly. Please don't stoop to name calling. We use filters for spam protection. If your comment does not appear, it is likely because it violates the above policy or contains links or language typical of spam. We reserve the right to remove comments at our discretion.