Personal Liberty Digest™ will be upgraded this weekend to reflect a dynamic new look and mobile-friendly viewing to enhance your experience! Plus, we'll be providing even more of the compelling content you've come to expect, delivered in a whole new way!

  Comments Subscribe to Personal Liberty News Feed Subscribe to Personal Liberty
 

Official: U.S. Withdrawal Plans In Iraq Unchanged

BAGHDAD, Aug. 16 (UPI) — A day of deadly attacks in Baghdad and other Iraqi cities bears hallmarks of similar attacks committed last year during Ramadan, a U.S. military official said.

U.S. military spokesman 1st Lt. Joseph Larrew said al-Qaida in Iraq is believed to have been responsible for the roughly 42 attacks across Iraq Monday in which at least 89 people died and 315 were wounded, Stars and Stripes reported Tuesday.

“While it’s too early to speculate, today’s attacks are eerily similar to the stream of large-scale, complex attacks that occurred here last year during Ramadan on Aug. 25,” Larrew said in an e-mail. “Their aim then was to shake the public’s confidence in the capabilities of the Iraqi Security Forces to defend this country.”

Ramadan is a holy month of fasting observed by Muslims.

Larrew said Monday’s attacks did not alter U.S. plans to draw down its forces from their current strength of about 47,000 by Dec. 31. The Iraqi and U.S. governments have not decided whether the drawdown will be a complete withdrawal, or whether up to 10,000 U.S. troops will stay to help train the Iraqi army and police forces.

While group claimed responsibility for the attacks Monday, in a voice recording posted on a Web site for al-Qaida in Mesopotamia last week, a spokesman said it was preparing a wide-scale strike, The New York Times reported.

“I promise you that we are on the right path,” spokesman Abu Muhammad al-Adnani said. “Thank God that we are doing very well here.”

Gunmen opened fire on worshipers at a mosque in Baghdad, killing seven people Monday, the Kuwaiti news service KUNA reported.

Police said militants wearing army uniforms took seven people outside and executed them. The victims were members of the so-called Sahwa committees, which defended installations and communities against al-Qaida across Iraq, KUNA said. Witnesses said papers left on the bodies indicated they were executed by Islamic State of Iraq followers.

The most violent attacks Monday were in central Kut, where 34 people died and 68 were injured in a double explosion.

UPI - United Press International, Inc.

Since 1907, United Press International (UPI) has been a leading provider of critical information to media outlets, businesses, governments and researchers worldwide.

Facebook Conversations

Join the Discussion:
View Comments to “Official: U.S. Withdrawal Plans In Iraq Unchanged”

Comment Policy: We encourage an open discussion with a wide range of viewpoints, even extreme ones, but we will not tolerate racism, profanity or slanderous comments toward the author(s) or comment participants. Make your case passionately, but civilly. Please don't stoop to name calling. We use filters for spam protection. If your comment does not appear, it is likely because it violates the above policy or contains links or language typical of spam. We reserve the right to remove comments at our discretion.

Is there news related to personal liberty happening in your area? Contact us at newstips@personalliberty.com

Bottom
close[X]

Sign Up For Personal Liberty Digest™!

PL Badge

Welcome to PersonalLiberty.com,
America's #1 Source for Libertarian News!

To join our group of freedom-loving individuals and to get alerts as well as late-breaking conservative news from Personal Liberty Digest™...

Privacy PolicyYou can opt out at any time. We protect your information like a mother hen. We will not sell or rent your email address to anyone for any reason.