Nigerian Attacks Unjust, World Says
August 26, 2011 by UPI - United Press International, Inc.
WASHINGTON, Aug. 26 (UPI) — There is no justification for violence targeting the United Nations, Washington said after the Islamic Boco Haram took responsibility for attacks in Nigeria.
Boco Haram told the BBC it carried out Friday’s attack that left 18 people dead and many more injured at the U.N. offices in Abuja.
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, in a statement of condemnation, said there was no excuse for violence targeting those working for peace in the country.
“There is no justification for this violence,” she said. “These individuals were working to promote peace, expand opportunity and build a safer and more prosperous nation.”
A car bomb crashed through security barriers into the reception area, witnesses told the BBC. U.S. Army Gen. Carter Ham, the top U.S. military authority working in Africa, had told the BBC earlier this month there were growing ties between Boko Haram and al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb, the North African branch of al-Qaida.
U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said he was dispatching a top envoy to the area to respond to the situation.
“This was an assault on those who devote their lives to helping others,” he said.
Nigerian officials in July warned that fear of attacks by Boko Haram had spread to Lagos where buses are being checked for bombs.
Hundreds of suspected Boko Haram members escaped from a Nigerian prison last year after militants stormed a detention center in Maiduguri.
Clashes between local police and Boko Haram have left hundreds dead since 2009.