Mumbai Terrorist Appeals Death Sentence
July 29, 2011 by UPI - United Press International, Inc.
NEW DELHI, July 29 (UPI) — India’s highest court is considering an appeal by Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, sentenced to death for the Mumbai terrorist attack, a spokesman said Friday.
Pukhraj R. Bora, the Supreme Court registrar, said Kasab’s appeal of his sentence was forwarded to the court from the jail in Mumbai, CNN reported. Kasab, a Pakistani, was convicted last year of murder, conspiracy and making war against India.
The attack in November 2008 killed 160 people in India’s financial center, the city formerly known as Bombay. Kasab was the only survivor of the 10 men who landed in small boats and terrorized the city for three days, targeting luxury hotels, a Jewish community center and a train station.
If Kasab’s appeal is rejected by the Supreme Court, he can appeal to the president.