Here is a collection of some of the stories that Personal Liberty staffers will be keeping an eye on throughout the day. Click the links for the full stories.
- The economic DMZ that is Detroit has been under the “emergency” leadership of specially appointed financial manager Kevin Orr for the past 6 weeks. Set in charge of turning around the city’s $14 billion debt and $327 million operating budget by Governor Rick Snyder, Orr now says the city’s situation is “worse than we originally thought. It ain’t good.”
- There may be signs that China’s exuberant economic growth could be slowing, as the central government struggles with overly optimistic spending at the local and regional level. A finance columnist with the U.K.’s Telegraph thinks China’s slowdown, coupled with a nascent energy and industry boom in the United States, may mean Western fears of China’s ascendance are a long, long way from fruition.
- In the destabilized, theocratic Mideast, there’s no such thing as a “freedom fighter.” Following a script Western governments have been helping to write for decades, undersupplied and desperate rebel forces in the Free Syrian Army are joining the better-trained, better-armed, better-funded Islamist group Jabhat al-Nusra en masse. Al-Nusra is that suicide-bombing, islamofascist al-Qaida organization the United States recognizes as a terrorist group. “Blame the West,” says one regionally prominent defector.
- President Barack Obama held a closed-door meeting Wednesday with energy execs in an ostensible effort to game-plan coordinated responses to future weather disasters like last year’s Superstorm Sandy. POLITICO insinuates that Obama’s no-media approach violates his very own criticisms of the Bush-Cheney years, when he campaigned against the old guard’s hush-hush methods in crafting energy policy.
- Check out this video of how students at Evergreen Middle School in Colorado are being indoctrinated by taxpayer-funded public educators to believe fracking, which is causing a thriving economic boom in some parts of the Nation, is evil.