THE HAGUE, Netherlands, Aug. 22 (UPI) — The International Criminal Court, noting it had warrants out for many Gadhafi regime officials, said Monday it had been briefed by Libyan rebel forces.
The chief prosecutor at the International Criminal Court requested that judges issue an arrest warrant for Moammar Gadhafi, his son Saif al-Islam Gadhafi and the country’s intelligence chief, Abdullah al-Sanousi, for alleged crimes against humanity committed in Libya since February.
The U.N. Security Council referred Libya to the ICC in February and sanctioned military force to protect civilians from attacks by forces loyal to Gadhafi.
ICC prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo said he had evidence that civilians were attacked in their homes, demonstrators were fired on with live ammunition and snipers were used to kill those leaving mosques after prayers.
With Libyan rebels controlling much of Tripoli, Moreno-Ocampo said Monday he was briefed on the latest developments by members of the rebel-backed Transitional National Council. He said the TNC was working to establish control in the country and prevent further attacks against civilians.
“The prosecutor is committed to support such efforts, by pursuing his mandate to investigate and prosecute cases to contribute to the prevention of the crimes under the jurisdiction of the court,” the court said in a Monday statement.
The prosecutor said crimes committed in Libya were some of the most grievous crimes imaginable.
“That is why the U.N. Security Council referred the situation to the International Criminal Court in February 2011,” he said in a statement.
Rebel forces reportedly have all of Gadhafi’s sons in custody. The whereabouts of other top officials, including Gadhafi, was unknown.