“An increasing body of evidence indicates that we should reduce the amount of salt in our diet. The American Medical Association (AMA), the American Heart Association (AHA), the American Dietetic Association (ADA), and the National Institutes of Health have begun a campaign to cut the salt intake of Americans by one-half."
Sounds like another big pharma/government propaganda campaign to feed big pharma more bodies. When that many government agencies all come out against salt, you had better get the debate from the other side.
What crass and base nonsense! And yes, the American people will follow and their general health will enter a new downhill direction. Heart doctors already have their patients off salt. This started 60 years ago.
The following salt information was taken from the book, Obesity, Cancer, Depression by F. Batmanghelidj, M.D. It is a discussion about sea salt, not refined table salt.
As a rough rule of thumb, Dr. Batmanghelidj recommends one-fourth teaspoon of sea salt per quart of water. Exceptions are those with kidney failure or other medical reasons which call for a doctor’s consultation.
The government agencies listed above who set the direction for our "medical welfare" should take note that when we get sick and land in the hospital, they immediately give saline (salt) intravenous (IV) drip with 0.9 percent concentration of salt. This figure translates to 9 grams of salt per liter of water. However, it is prudent to take only a third as much salt on a regular daily basis. And these silent injections of salt cost the insurance companies more than gold costs.
The following are direct quotes from Dr. Batmanghelidj’s book: Salt: Some of Its Hidden Miracles:
- Salt has many functions other than just regulating the water content of the body.
Here are some of its additional important functions in the body:
- Salt is a strong natural antihistamine. It can be used to relieve asthma: Put some on your tongue after drinking a glass or two of water. It is as effective as an inhaler, without the toxicity. You should drink one or two glasses of water before putting salt on the tongue.
- Salt is a strong anti-stress element for the body.
- Salt is vital for extracting excess acidity from inside the cells, particularly brain cells. If you don’t want Alzheimer’s disease, don’t go salt-free, and don’t let them put you on diuretic medications for long!
- Salt is vital for the kidneys to clear excess acidity, passing it into the urine. Without sufficient salt in the body, the body will become more and more acidic.
- Salt is essential in the treatment of emotional and affective disorders. Lithium is a salt substitute used in the treatment of depression. To prevent suffering from depression, make sure you take some salt.
- Salt is essential for preserving the serotonin and melatonin levels in the brain. When water and salt perform their natural antioxidant duties and clear toxic waste from the body, essential amino acids, such as tryptophan and tyrosine, will not be sacrificed as chemical antioxidants. In a well-hydrated body, tryptophan is spared and gets into the brain tissue, where it is used to manufacture serotonin, melatonin, indolamine and tryptamine—essential antidepressant neurotransmitters.
- Salt is a vitally needed element in the treatment of diabetics. It helps balance the sugar levels in the blood and reduces the need for insulin in those who have to inject the chemical to regulate their blood sugar levels. Water and salt reduce the extent of secondary damage associated with diabetes.
- Salt is vital for the generation of hydroelectric energy in all of the cells in the body. It is used for local power generation at the sites of energy needed by the cells.
- Salt is vital to the communication and information-processing of nerve cells the entire time that the brain cells work—from the moment of conception to death.
- Salt is vital for the absorption of food particles through the intestinal tract.
- Salt is vital for clearing the lungs of mucous plugs and sticky phlegm, particularly in asthma, emphysema and cystic fibrosis sufferers. Salt makes mucus fluid loose and ready to ‘disconnect’—by changing the physical state of its structure (the process is called charge-shielding).
- Salt on the tongue will stop persistent dry coughs; water will enhance this effect.
- Salt is vital for clearing up catarrh and sinus congestion.
- Salt is vital for the prevention of gout and gouty arthritis.
- Salt is essential for the prevention of muscle cramps.
- Salt is vital to preventing excess saliva production to the point that it flows out of the mouth during sleep. Needing to constantly mop up excess saliva indicates a salt shortage.
Major osteoporosis is the result of salt and water shortages in the body. More than 20 percent of the salt reserves of the body are stored in the shaft of the long bones, giving them their strength. When the diet is short of salt, the stored salt in the bones is released to osmotically balance the content of salt in the blood.