How do I legally change my name?


Dear Bob,
I would like to legally change my name. How do I go about it?

A: The process varies by state, but here is the gist: The first thing you will need is a copy of any birth certificate and marriage certificates for all the parties who want to have their names changed.

You will also need to locate the Probate and Family Court that serves the area that you have been living in. Go to that Courthouse, call, or go online and see what forms you will need to complete to file for a legal name change. There will probably be some type of filing fees associated with filing the request for the name change.

Complete the form for the request for the name change; this should be very easy. The next thing you will do is have to publish your request in your local paper for several days. This can be costly because you will be paying the paper an advertising fee. But if you are involved in lawsuits or have credit problems, some people and creditors have a right to file a contest of your request for a legal name change. The ad will state something like “please file by ____________ (specific date) if you do not agree to the name change.”

After the ad has been published in the paper you will get your Court date. You go to Court and answer a few questions for the Judge and your names will be legally changed.

Best Wishes,

Personal Liberty

Bob Livingston

founder of Personal Liberty Digest™, is an ultra-conservative American author and editor of The Bob Livingston Letter™, in circulation since 1969. Bob has devoted much of his life to research and the quest for truth on a variety of subjects. Bob specializes in health issues such as nutritional supplements and alternatives to drugs, as well as issues of privacy (both personal and financial), asset protection and the preservation of freedom.

Join the Discussion

Comment Policy: We encourage an open discussion with a wide range of viewpoints, even extreme ones, but we will not tolerate racism, profanity or slanderous comments toward the author(s) or comment participants. Make your case passionately, but civilly. Please don't stoop to name calling. We use filters for spam protection. If your comment does not appear, it is likely because it violates the above policy or contains links or language typical of spam. We reserve the right to remove comments at our discretion.