Holder Evades Questioning On Alleged Illegal White House Job Offer
May 19, 2010 by Special To Personal Liberty
Despite Representative Darrell Issa’s (R-Calif.) intensive questioning at a Congressional hearing last week, Attorney General Eric Holder refused to comment on the status of a possible Justice Department investigation.
In February, Representative Joe Sestak (D-Penn.) told a Philadelphia news station that he was informed by the White House that he would be offered a Federal position with the Department of Defense if he dropped out of the upcoming Pennsylvania Democratic primary election, where he will be competing against Senator Arlen Specter (D-Penn.).
Issa, the ranking Republican member of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, asked Holder to appoint a special prosecutor to the case in March, and said he had yet to receive a response from the attorney general’s office.
Meanwhile, Holder continued to evade Issa’s questions regarding whether or not an investigation into the accusations had been launched.
"I can say that with regard to the appointment of a special prosecutor, that it is done on a case-by-case basis," Holder said. "It is the department’s policy not to comment on pending matters, to say there is an investigation, to say there is not an investigation."
As to the lack of response to the Representative’s letter, Holder said he assumed his office had taken action and apologized.
"It could be in the mail," Issa said sarcastically. "It’s very slow sometimes."