Comments Subscribe to Personal Liberty News Feed Subscribe to Personal Liberty

Heart Failure Patients With Chronic Kidney Disorder May Need Potassium Supplementation

February 26, 2010 by  

Heart failure patients with chronic kidney disorder may need potassium supplementationLow potassium levels may lead to an increased risk of hospitalization or death in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) and heart failure, according to a new study.

"Hypokalemia, or low potassium, is common in heart-failure patients and is associated with poor outcomes, as is chronic kidney disease," said study author C. Barrett Bowling, fellow at the University of Alabama at Birmingham division of gerontology.

"But little is known about the prevalence and effect of hypokalemia in heart-failure patients who also have CKD," he added.

In the study, researchers examined data from more than 1,000 patients suffering from CKD and heart failure. During the 57-month follow-up period, a total of 48 percent of patients with hypokalemia died, compared to only 36 percent of individuals with normal potassium levels. The hospitalization rate was also slightly higher for those with moderate to high hypokalemia.

The researchers concluded that physicians need to be aware of the risks heart failure and CKD patients with mildly low potassium levels may be facing.

Several major food groups that are high in potassium include root vegetables, fresh fruit, dairy and white meats.

Special To Personal Liberty

You Sound Off! is written by our readers and appears the last Wednesday of each month. If you would like to submit an article or letter to the editor for consideration for You Sound Off!, send it to by the Friday before the last Wednesday of the month. To be considered, a submission should be 750 words or less and must include the writer's name, address and a telephone number. Only the writer's name will be published. Anonymous submissions will not be considered.

Facebook Conversations

Join the Discussion:
View Comments to “Heart Failure Patients With Chronic Kidney Disorder May Need Potassium Supplementation”

Comment Policy: We encourage an open discussion with a wide range of viewpoints, even extreme ones, but we will not tolerate racism, profanity or slanderous comments toward the author(s) or comment participants. Make your case passionately, but civilly. Please don't stoop to name calling. We use filters for spam protection. If your comment does not appear, it is likely because it violates the above policy or contains links or language typical of spam. We reserve the right to remove comments at our discretion.

Is there news related to personal liberty happening in your area? Contact us at

  • Pugsley

    I recently took a very short poll and one of the questions that was asked was, “who did you vote for in the last presidential election?” To my surprise 73% of the people polled (over 350,000 people) said they voted for Mccain? Well, then how in the world did Barack Hussein O’Bama get elected then? And by the way people Mccain would have been no better! Democrate/Republican? Just a two heaqded demon anymore! Remember people, we were founded as a “Republic” Which means that 99% of the population can’t tell the other 1% how to live their lives! Then slowly we have somehow been changed through forced polotics and media into a “Democracy” Where 51% of the population can tell the other 49% how to live their lives! And now we a swiftly slipping into a Socialist/Facist state of governemnt! Are you all so willing to give up your civil liberties for security? Throughout history governments have always become corrupt, and self indulgent. Until the people have taken too much and fought back! Why wait till we fall flat on our faces?!! Start fighting back now!! Before it’s too late. Believe me I was one of those people who said “Ahhhh, what can I do? It doesnt matter. It’s only my one vote..” That is the attitude that has gotten us to where we are today. They have programmed us into thinking about useless things to keep our minds occupied. While they orchastrate a take over of our freedoms and our God given rights as human beings! ENOUGH PEOPLE!!!! ENOUGH!! Pay attention!! Look behind the Scenes!! Don’t use what’s on the Boob tube as your only source of news!! Weigh all the facts!! And make a difference!! Because if you don’t start right now, today! all hope is lost. And no amount of praying will make us recover.

    Scott Pugsley
    The Colony,TX 75056
    American Patriot


Sign Up For Personal Liberty Digest™!

PL Badge

Welcome to,
America's #1 Source for Libertarian News!

To join our group of freedom-loving individuals and to get alerts as well as late-breaking conservative news from Personal Liberty Digest™...

Privacy PolicyYou can opt out at any time. We protect your information like a mother hen. We will not sell or rent your email address to anyone for any reason.