The FBI said a Texas man who was among at least 13 people killed in Monday’s rampage at the U.S. Navy Yard in Washington, D.C., was the shooter.
Valerie Parlave, assistant FBI director in charge of the Washington Field Office, identified the dead gunman as Aaron Alexis, 34, of Fort Worth. It was unclear whether Alexis acted alone.
The shooting began about 8:20 a.m. EDT and Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy Lanier told a 4 p.m. news conference the investigation was still active and it would be several hours before investigators determined whether any suspects were still at large.
Lanier said officers were on the scene within minutes of the first call and engaged the shooter.
Mayor Vincent Gray said at least 13 people had been killed and a dozen more had been injured. He urged people who live in the area to stay away and those already in the area to shelter in place.
The U.S. Senate placed itself on lockdown.
As many as three gunmen were initially thought to have been involved in the rampage and police spent much of the day searching for two other possible assailants inside the headquarters for Naval Sea Systems Command.
Late Monday afternoon, police said one of the two suspects — a white male wearing a Navy-style khaki military uniform with a beret — had been identified and was not considered a suspect or person of interest.
It was unclear, however, if police were still searching for a black male in his 50s, believed to be wearing olive drab and armed with a rifle.
The police department was asking anyone with information to call 800-225-5321.
Parlave said the FBI was seeking as much information as possible on Alexis, who some media outlets identified as a military contractor.
“No piece of informatiion is too small,” she said, adding the FBI wants to know about his recent movements and contacts. A picture of the suspect was posted in the FBI’s website. Parlave said anyone with information on Alexis should call 800-225-5324.
A Washington police officer and a base security guard were among the injured. The police officer and two civilian victims were taken to MedStar Washington Hospital Center. Chief Medical Officer Janis Orlowski said the injured police officer was treated for gunshot wounds to the leg. A female civilian was being treated for a gunshot wound to her shoulder and another woman, also a civilian, had gunshot wounds to her head and hand. All three were expected to survive, Orlowski said,
A man in his 60s was confirmed dead at George Washington University Hospital with a gunshot wound to the head.
One employee, who declined to be identified, told The Washington Post he heard “blam, blam” inside one of the buildings, then someone pulled the fire alarm.
“We still don’t know all the facts, but we do know that several people have been shot, and some have been killed,” President Barack Obama said Monday before remarks to mark the fifth anniversary of the financial crisis. “So we are confronting yet another mass shooting — and today, it happened on a military installation in our nation’s capital. …
“We send our thoughts and prayers to all at the Navy Yard who’ve been touched by this tragedy. We will do everything in our power to make sure whoever carried out this cowardly act is held responsible.”
Police said family members were directed to nearby Nationals Stadium parking lot B to meet up with Navy Yard employees who allowed to leave the complex.
“Family members looking for information about their loved ones can contact the Warfighter and Family Support Center at 202-433-6151 or 202-433-9713,” the U.S. Navy said in a statement.
Late in the day, the Washington Nationals canceled Monday’s scheduled game against the Atlanta Braves.
“I’m deeply shocked and saddened by the shooting this morning at the Navy Yard,” Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. I have complete confidence in our first responders, and I continue to be completely focused on this very difficult situation.”
About 3,000 people work inside Naval Sea Systems Command’s headquarters, the Navy said. The Navy Yard also houses CIA and other U.S. intelligence assets.
The Navy said it has issued an “Order to Account” for all Navy uniformed personnel, both active duty and selected Reserve, assigned to commands in the D.C. metro area.
The FBI took the lead on the investigation with the assistance of the Naval Criminal Investigative Service and Metro police.
“Everyone here at the Department of Defense is saddened by the incident at the Washington Navy Yard this morning,” Pentagon spokesman George Little said in a statement. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims. Secretary [Chuck] Hagel is closely following the situation and has assured the Navy we will provide any resource or capability needed to get the Washington Navy Yard community through this event.
The Pentagon has increased security “as a proactive, precautionary measure,” Little said in a statement.