Group Calls For Mass Egyptian Protests

0 Shares

CAIRO, Aug. 19 (UPI) — A pro-revolution group in Egypt called for mass protests Sept. 9 to express frustration with the lack of political reform in the country.

A group calling itself the Second Anger Revolution Youth, in a statement posted on the group’s listing on Facebook, accused the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces of “hindering the revolution,” Egyptian daily newspaper Al-Masry Al-Youm reports.

Criticism against the ruling military council is mounting as frustration grows over the slow pace of reform in post-revolution Egypt. Some of the elections promised by the military council were postponed to 2012 while trials for former regime officials, including deposed President Hosni Mubarak, are barely under way.

The revolutionary group said it was frustrated that the military council was still holding civilians on trial. They claim this violates pledges “that military trials are only for thugs and not for the revolutionary youth.”

Thousands of protesters flocked to Cairo’s central square earlier this year, forcing regime change through peaceful means. Mubarak and members of his inner circle are charged with murder in connection to the deaths of unarmed protesters.

The revolution group said the time for military rule in Egypt has ended.

UPI - United Press International, Inc.

Since 1907, United Press International (UPI) has been a leading provider of critical information to media outlets, businesses, governments and researchers worldwide.