Grilling: An Open Source Of Flame
January 31, 2013 by UPI - United Press International, Inc.
DALLAS (UPI) — Grilling can provide some tasty dishes for a Super Bowl party, but it also can cause unexpected burns, scalding and fires, a U.S. physician says.
“When you’re smelling the barbecue, it’s easy to forget that grills — both gas and charcoal — are still an open source of flame and a potential danger,” Dr. Brett Arnoldo, a burn surgeon at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, said in a statement.
Arnoldo and his colleagues say:
– Don’t pour water directly on coals. Beware of steam that can rise up unexpectedly and scald.
– Use baking powder to help contain grease fires. Always have an extinguisher nearby in case flames get out of control or something catches fire.
– Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and pets and away from any source of heat, including grills, fire pits and chimneys.
– Never leave a lit grill unattended. Children and pets should remain at least 3 feet from a grill to help avoid burns or accidentally knocking over the grill.
– Don’t lean directly over the grill. Be aware of clothing such as scarves, shirt tails or apron strings that can catch fire when bending over. Consider flame-retardant oven mitts and long utensils to avoid burns.
– Never try to move a hot grill. Wait for coals to cool off before disposing.
Burning charcoal produces carbon monoxide, a colorless and odorless gas so never burn charcoal indoors or in tents, RVs, campers or other enclosed spaces, Arnoldo said.