Gas In Soy Sauce Jug Sparks Sushi Bar Fire

0 Shares

NEW YORK, (UPI) — Chaos erupted at a Manhattan sushi restaurant Friday night when gasoline being carried in a soy sauce container caught fire, authorities said.

Three staff members were injured in the flash fire at ENO, which broke out when a worker carried two 5-gallon soy sauce containers filled with gasoline through the kitchen.

“I was pouring a round of Jack Daniels and the next thing I know the bus boy was on fire,” bartender Adele Mackenzie told the New York Post.

A group of customers — tree-trimmers who were in town from upstate New York to assist in storm recovery — jumped into action and tackled the bus boy. He and the other two victims were taken to a burn center for treatment.

Fire department officials told the Post the gasoline ignited when it somehow spilled on the kitchen floor. It was not known what the gasoline was to have been used for.

UPI - United Press International, Inc.

Since 1907, United Press International (UPI) has been a leading provider of critical information to media outlets, businesses, governments and researchers worldwide.

Join the Discussion

Comment Policy: We encourage an open discussion with a wide range of viewpoints, even extreme ones, but we will not tolerate racism, profanity or slanderous comments toward the author(s) or comment participants. Make your case passionately, but civilly. Please don't stoop to name calling. We use filters for spam protection. If your comment does not appear, it is likely because it violates the above policy or contains links or language typical of spam. We reserve the right to remove comments at our discretion.