Ferguson Chief Says Officer Didn’t Know Michael Brown Was Suspect In Robbery

0 Shares
Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson Ferguson police ID officer Darren Wilson as shooter of Michael Brown to a crowd of reporters and citizens on Friday, Aug. 15, 2014, at the burned QuickTrip located on W. Florissant in Ferguson, Mo. (Laurie Skrivan/St. Louis Post-Dispatch/MCT)

FERGUSON, Mo. (MCT) — The officer who shot Ferguson teen Michael Brown stopped Brown and another teen because they were walking in the street, not because of a robbery a few minutes earlier, Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson said Friday afternoon.

Jackson said Michael Brown and Dorian Johnson were suspects in the robbery, but the officer wasn’t aware of that. The officer, Darren Wilson, knew there had been a robbery but did not know that Brown and Johnson might be suspects.

“The initial contact between the officer and Mr. Brown was not related to the robbery,” Jackson said in a news conference shortly after 2 p.m. “(The robbery) had nothing to do with the stop… They (Brown and Johnson) were walking down the street blocking traffic, that was it.”

Jackson also addressed concerns about his release of information about the robbery at the same time he released the name of the officer at a press conference Friday morning.

Jackson said he released the security video from the liquor store because news organizations had been requesting it under the Freedom of Information Act.

Asked by reporters why he released the tape, he said, “Because I had to. Too many people put in (freedom of information) requests for it.”

Told of the family’s angry reaction to the release, he said, “First, my heart goes out to the family. I can’t imagine what they are going through. We have given you everything that we have now… There is nothing else we have got.”

Jackson said the Wilson worked for the Jennings Police Department for two years before joining the Ferguson force four years ago. He called Wilson “a gentle, quiet man, a distinguished officer.” For Wilson, Jackson said, the shooting “is absolutely devastating. He never intended for any of this to happen.”

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

___

(c)2014 St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Visit the St. Louis Post-Dispatch at www.stltoday.com.

Distributed by MCT Information Services.

McClatchy-Tribune

Operated jointly by the McClatchy Company and Tribune Company, MCT serves more than 1,200 media clients, online information services and information resellers across the globe. With 600-plus contributors worldwide, MCT has an exceptional variety of sources, providing detailed analyses, opinions and perspectives.

Join the Discussion

Comment Policy: We encourage an open discussion with a wide range of viewpoints, even extreme ones, but we will not tolerate racism, profanity or slanderous comments toward the author(s) or comment participants. Make your case passionately, but civilly. Please don't stoop to name calling. We use filters for spam protection. If your comment does not appear, it is likely because it violates the above policy or contains links or language typical of spam. We reserve the right to remove comments at our discretion.