Enough Lies About The Attack In Libya!

0 Shares
burn1004_image

In the past three weeks, there have been riots and demonstrations against the United States in many Muslim countries. In Egypt, our embassy grounds were stormed, the U.S. flag was torn down and burned, and an Islamic flag was erected in its place. The worst assault was in Benghazi, Libya, where terrorists rampaged through our consulate and murdered our ambassador, Christopher Stevens, and three other Americans.

We’ve been told over and over again by our leaders that it all happened because of Islamic outrage over a 14-minute video clip that appeared on YouTube.

What a bunch of hogwash! The riots occurred because a bunch of murderous jihadists have been taught to hate the United States. They call us “the Great Satan” and blame us for virtually everything that’s gone wrong in the world for the past 100 years. They’re willing to wage war by any means, including turning women and infants into suicide bombers, to kill us.

Used to be, our government could be counted on to defend our people and our policies — with force, if necessary. Sadly, this is not the case anymore. Ever since he took office, Barack Obama’s policy has been one of apology and accommodation. No wonder these murderous extremists believe they can attack us with impunity.

Shortly after the world learned about the events that transpired this past Sept. 11 (does anyone anywhere think the date was just a coincidence?), the Obama Administration went into overdrive to blame what had happened on a video clip that (a) had been around for weeks and (b) almost no one had ever seen.

Susan Rice, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, quickly emerged as the Administration’s chief spokesman on network TV. Her message was the same everywhere she went: “It began spontaneously in Benghazi as a reaction to what had transpired some hours earlier in Cairo, where, of course, as you know, there was a violent protest outside of our embassy sparked by this hateful video.”

Of course, we know now that the attack in Benghazi was anything but spontaneous. But that’s the spin the Administration kept trying to put on that horrendous affair.

White House Press Secretary Jim Carney was another one who played a major role in the “deflect the blame” game. He told assembled reporters, “I think it’s important to note with regards to that protest that there are protests taking place in different countries across the world that are responding to the movie that has circulated on the Internet.”

Nearly two weeks after the deadly attacks, Obama traveled to New York City to address the U.N. General Assembly. During his speech, he denounced the “crude and disgusting” video clip six times. But he didn’t mention “terrorism” or al-Qaida once.

But then, ever so slowly, the truth began to seep out. Not thanks to any of our leaders, heaven knows. No, one of the first people to use the word “terrorism” was Mohammed Magarief, the new leader of Libya. He called the assault “a pre-planned act of terrorism against American citizens.”

Magarief pointed out that the attackers used rocket-propelled grenades and mortars against our consulate — weapons that spontaneous mobs are very unlikely to possess. And he said the date of the attack — 11 years to the day since 9/11 — was not a coincidence, but a premeditated choice.

In an interview with NBC News, Magarief also pointed out that the trailer for the alleged movie had been online for months without leading to a single demonstration in the Mideast — or anywhere else, for that matter. The video had “nothing to do with this attack,” he declared.

Now we learn that Stevens had been worried for months about the “never-ending” security threats in Benghazi. In a notebook that was found in the ransacked consulate, he even wrote that he was on an al-Qaida hit list. Yet no special security measures were put in place to protect him or our consulate.

Finally, on Sept. 27, more than two weeks after Stevens’ murder, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta acknowledged what had now become clear to anyone who was following the story: This was no spontaneous demonstration but a deliberate terrorist attack.

“I think, on the terrorist attack, I mean, as we determined the details of what took place there and how that attack took place, that it became clear that there were terrorists who had planned that attack,” Panetta said.

Carney also changed his tune: “It is, I think, self-evident that what happened in Benghazi was a terrorist attack.” But even then, Carney still tried to insist the attack “was the result of opportunism, taking advantage of and exploiting what was happening as a result of reaction to the video that was found to be offensive.”

But if the fact this was a terrorist attack is now “obvious” and “self-evident,” let me ask you: Why did top officials in the Obama Administration, including Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, deliberately mislead the American people for the first two weeks after it happened?

Even now, our President tries to downplay the significance of what took place, saying merely that our foreign policy has suffered some “bumps in the road.” The foreign media have not been nearly as kind to the Administration as our own press has been. A headline in the German newspaper Der Spiegel put it bluntly: “Obama’s Middle East Policy Is In Ruins.”

That may be the view from Germany. But it’s certainly not how the press sees things — or explains things — here in the United States.

Can you imagine how the mainstream media in this country would have reacted if something like this had occurred while George Bush was in office? And if word had gotten out that the President was skipping most of his daily intelligence briefings so he could campaign for reelection in Las Vegas and Hollywood?

Actually, you don’t have to imagine. Just check how the media reacted to Mitt Romney’s comments about the mealy mouthed statement that was originally issued by our embassy in Egypt. Even the State Department was forced to disown that one.

We already knew that the Obama Administration was a miserable failure at defending U.S. interests abroad. Now it turns out that it won’t even tell us the truth when we’re attacked.

History teaches us over and over again that weakness only invites more aggression. There’s no way Obama and his team will learn this lesson. Hopefully, in another month, the voters will decide to replace them — and a whole bunch of Senators and Representatives, too.

Until next time, keep some powder dry.

–Chip Wood

Personal Liberty

Chip Wood

is the geopolitical editor of PersonalLiberty.com. He is the founder of Soundview Publications, in Atlanta, where he was also the host of an award-winning radio talk show for many years. He was the publisher of several bestselling books, including Crisis Investing by Doug Casey, None Dare Call It Conspiracy by Gary Allen and Larry Abraham and The War on Gold by Anthony Sutton. Chip is well known on the investment conference circuit where he has served as Master of Ceremonies for FreedomFest, The New Orleans Investment Conference, Sovereign Society, and The Atlanta Investment Conference.

Join the Discussion

Comment Policy: We encourage an open discussion with a wide range of viewpoints, even extreme ones, but we will not tolerate racism, profanity or slanderous comments toward the author(s) or comment participants. Make your case passionately, but civilly. Please don't stoop to name calling. We use filters for spam protection. If your comment does not appear, it is likely because it violates the above policy or contains links or language typical of spam. We reserve the right to remove comments at our discretion.