Each year, more than 15 million American adults suffer from depression, and its effects are not to be taken lightly. But there are eight simple things you can do to fight off the depressive blues and help restore a positive outlook.
- Eat plenty of raw fruits and vegetables and soy products to raise your complex carbohydrate levels. This will ensure a higher level of serotonin, which is known to help lift your spirits.
- Eat foods like salmon and turkey. They contain high levels of protein and tryptophan, which affect your nervous system.
- Get out in the sun at least 10 minutes each day, but be sure to avoid overexposure.
- Include St. John’s wort (herb), kava kava (herb) and SAMe (amino acid supplement) in your diet regimen. They are known to help with depression.
- Eliminate alcohol and caffeinated drinks.
- Avoid eating processed foods, refined sugar or refined flour.
- Don’t eat foods that are high in saturated fats, like fried foods or bacon. These can make you sluggish and promote fatigue.
- When negative or fearful thoughts begin, start a positive and uplifting affirmation. This simple exercise can have amazing results.