Comments Subscribe to Personal Liberty News Feed Subscribe to Personal Liberty

Double Taxation For Emergency Services

June 8, 2012 by  

Double Taxation For Emergency Services
In some places police or fire response to a fender bender is going to cost you.

In some cash-strapped municipalities throughout the country, residents are being double taxed to raise money to help fund local police and fire departments.

According to MSNBC, municipalities in as many as 34 States have taken to charging motorists for police and fire response to the scene of an accident. The fees can range into the hundreds of dollars.

The fees, dubbed “accident response fees” or “crash taxes,” are usually billed to a motorist’s insurance company. But in some cases a collection agency winds up trying to collect from the individual.

The National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies is among the insurance organizations working to do away with the fees. Joe Thesing, assistant vice president-state affairs with NAMIC, says that insurance policies usually don’t cover non-medical accident response, so the victims end up footing the bill.

“These fees are a form of double taxation applied only to responsible citizens who follow state law and carry auto insurance,” Thesing said. “It’s our belief that responding to investigative accidents is a function of police and fire departments supported by local taxes.”


Sam Rolley

Staff writer Sam Rolley began a career in journalism working for a small town newspaper while seeking a B.A. in English. After learning about many of the biases present in most modern newsrooms, Rolley became determined to find a position in journalism that would allow him to combat the unsavory image that the news industry has gained. He is dedicated to seeking the truth and exposing the lies disseminated by the mainstream media at the behest of their corporate masters, special interest groups and information gatekeepers.

Facebook Conversations

Join the Discussion:
View Comments to “Double Taxation For Emergency Services”

Comment Policy: We encourage an open discussion with a wide range of viewpoints, even extreme ones, but we will not tolerate racism, profanity or slanderous comments toward the author(s) or comment participants. Make your case passionately, but civilly. Please don't stoop to name calling. We use filters for spam protection. If your comment does not appear, it is likely because it violates the above policy or contains links or language typical of spam. We reserve the right to remove comments at our discretion.

Is there news related to personal liberty happening in your area? Contact us at


Sign Up For Personal Liberty Digest™!

PL Badge

Welcome to,
America's #1 Source for Libertarian News!

To join our group of freedom-loving individuals and to get alerts as well as late-breaking conservative news from Personal Liberty Digest™...

Privacy PolicyYou can opt out at any time. We protect your information like a mother hen. We will not sell or rent your email address to anyone for any reason.