Dog Lights Stove Top Fire

0 Shares

SOUTH ELGIN, Ill.,  (UPI) —  Firefighters in Illinois said a dog turned on an oven burner and caused $100,000 worth of damage to a home.

South Elgin Fire Department Lt. Todd Erickson said they extinguished the flames Monday and discovered the fire originated from a stove burner that had been turned on, WBBM-TV, Chicago, reported Wednesday.

Firefighters spoke to the owner and discovered one of his dogs “was notorious for jumping up on the stove and turning on the burners,” Erickson said.

He said a pizza box on top of the stove then caught fire.

“The dog had jumped up, turned on the stove, lit the box and proceeded to start the cabinets on fire,” Erickson said.

Firefighters said the dog and other pets inside the house at the time of the incident were not injured.

UPI - United Press International, Inc.

Since 1907, United Press International (UPI) has been a leading provider of critical information to media outlets, businesses, governments and researchers worldwide.

Join the Discussion

Comment Policy: We encourage an open discussion with a wide range of viewpoints, even extreme ones, but we will not tolerate racism, profanity or slanderous comments toward the author(s) or comment participants. Make your case passionately, but civilly. Please don't stoop to name calling. We use filters for spam protection. If your comment does not appear, it is likely because it violates the above policy or contains links or language typical of spam. We reserve the right to remove comments at our discretion.