Dog Lights Stove Top Fire
January 31, 2013 by UPI - United Press International, Inc.
SOUTH ELGIN, Ill., (UPI) – Firefighters in Illinois said a dog turned on an oven burner and caused $100,000 worth of damage to a home.
South Elgin Fire Department Lt. Todd Erickson said they extinguished the flames Monday and discovered the fire originated from a stove burner that had been turned on, WBBM-TV, Chicago, reported Wednesday.
Firefighters spoke to the owner and discovered one of his dogs “was notorious for jumping up on the stove and turning on the burners,” Erickson said.
He said a pizza box on top of the stove then caught fire.
“The dog had jumped up, turned on the stove, lit the box and proceeded to start the cabinets on fire,” Erickson said.
Firefighters said the dog and other pets inside the house at the time of the incident were not injured.