Here is a collection of some of the stories that Personal Liberty staffers will be keeping an eye on throughout the day. Click the links for the full stories.
- Senator Ted Cruz’ (R-Texas) suggestion , via Twitter, to “abolish the IRS and ensure it [scandal and abuse] NEVER happens again” is picking up a little steam. “I think we ought to abolish the IRS and instead move to a simple flat tax where the average American can fill out taxes on a post card,” he told Fox News over the weekend.
- Part of last month’s report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on suicide in the U.S. uncovered a dramatic spike in the number of baby boomers who are killing themselves, with men and women in their 50s seeing the highest age-related increase.
- The Oregon Legislature has approved a ban on smoking in cars where children are present. Offenders would be ticketed $250 for a first violation, and $500 thereafter. The bill now goes before Governor John Kitzhaber, who has pledged to sign it.
- A guy dressed like Hitler – complete with moustache – showed up to a Family Court hearing Monday for custody of his two children, one of whom is named Adolf Hitler Campbell. His female sidekick had on getup that featured a Nazi Iron Eagle and a swastika. The guy, Heath Campbell, runs Hitler’s Order, a Nazi-revivalist group.
- New York City is still hard charging against foods with sugar, launching a new ad campaign that singles out sweet teas, sport and energy drinks, and fruit-flavored beverages. The ads, which cost $1.4 million, are running on local TV and buses.