Here is a collection of some of the stories that Personal Liberty staffers will be keeping an eye on throughout the day. Click the links for the full stories.
- Stephen Colbert of Comedy Central’s “Colbert Report” served as the main draw last week at a South Carolina fundraising dinner for his Democratic sister, who’s staging a run at a Congressional seat.
- The Administration of President Barack Obama is asking the U.S. Supreme Court to strike down California’s 2008 same-sex marriage ban.
- Austerity means spending more than you ever have in your life, but not as much as you want: The Sequestration clock winds down! To get a taste of how badly it’s gonna hurt, think back to last year’s Mayan apocalypse.
- Secretary of State John Kerry is already picking his battles with American NATO allies. He’s mad at Turkey’s Prime Minister for calling Zionism a “crime against humanity,” and he’s about to tell him to his face. Oof.
- If you want to go to Harvard, at least be a liberal. The school’s venerable newspaper has had enough of crazy right-wing alumni who’ve criticized the school in their post-university days. So much for free thought.
- More Supreme Court: Several (mostly southern) States are waiting to hear whether the Court will uphold Congress’ 2006 renewal of the 1965 Voting Rights Act. The States want it gone, arguing the racial voting discrimination of the civil rights era is a thing of the past — or, at least, isn’t unique to the States covered under the Act.