Boston Marathon Bombings Suspect Transferred To Detention Hospital
April 26, 2013 by UPI - United Press International, Inc.
BOSTON, (UPI) – The surviving suspect in the twin blasts at the Boston Marathon has been moved to a federal detention hospital, a federal law enforcement official said Friday.
Meanwhile, the parents of the bombing suspects left their home in Dagestan for another part of Russia, the suspects’ mother, Zubeirdat Tsarnaev told CNN Friday.
She said Anzor Tsarnaev, father of suspects Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev, has delayed his trip to the United States indefinitely, citing health reasons.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was killed last Friday in a gun battle with police. Hours later, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was captured in Watertown, Mass., after a massive police manhunt in Boston and surrounding suburbs.
The two are suspects in the two explosions that killed three people and injured more than 260 others April 15 at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. As of Thursday evening, 34 remained hospitalized, one in critical condition.
“Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been transported from the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and is now confined at the Bureau of Prisons facility FMC Devens at Fort Devens, Mass.,” the U.S. Marshals Service said in a statement.
Anzor Tsarnaev agreed to come to the United States after FBI agents and Russian officials spoke with the couple this week at their home. CNN reported the mother won’t be coming to the United States where she is wanted on felony charges of shoplifting and destruction of property.
Russian authorities had expressed suspicions Zubeirdat Tsarnaev and Tamerlan Tsarnaev were following radical ideologies.
The brothers spontaneously decided New York would be their next target, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev told investigators from his hospital bed. He said they had several bombs but a botched carjacking dashed the plans. Tamerlan Tsarnaev died in a shootout following the carjacking.
While there wasn’t evidence New York was a target arising from the Boston bombings, New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said authorities were investigating two visits the surviving suspect made to the city last year.
During one trip, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was photographed in Times Square. Another person in the photo has been in federal custody for seven days for alleged visa violations, CNN said.
The man was originally detained with another person April 19 when federal agents stormed a residence during their search for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, a federal law enforcement source said.
Officials haven’t linked either of the two men — foreign exchange students from Kazakhstan at the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth, where Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was enrolled — to the Boston attack but say they hope they can learn more about the suspects’ movements before and after the marathon, the source told CNN.
“These guys are not being cut loose immediately, and there’s a reason why,” the federal law enforcement source said.