Here is a collection of some of the stories that Personal Liberty staffers will be keeping an eye on throughout the day. Click the links for the full stories.
- President Barack Obama used White House press secretary Jay Carney to dissemble on Monday’s damning news that the Department of Justice had secretly monitored phone communications at The Associated Press. “We are not involved,” said Carney, who told reporters to go ask the DOJ.
- A volcano near Mexico City has officials preparing to evacuate tens of thousands of people, as the 17,887-foot “Popo,” which lies 40 miles South of North America’s most populous city, has begun showing signs of life.
- Instead of condemning the Internal Revenue Service for targeting conservative nonprofits during the 2010 election season, U.S. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is running straight at the controversy with arms wide open. She thinks the scandal provides an opportunity to take down more conservative groups.
- Russia arrested an American named Ryan Fogle in Moscow early Tuesday on suspicion of spying for the CIA after agents allegedly encountered him with two wigs, three pairs of sunglasses, a microphone, a knife and a bunch of money.
- The United States is expected to generate one-third of the world’s new oil over the next five years, slowing dependence on Mideast petroleum and proffering lower domestic energy costs. Will American economic policy over the same period deal with flush times better than in the past?