Bahrain Rights Investigation Not Completed

0 Shares

MANAMA, Bahrain, Aug. 16 (UPI) — There were no conclusions made about the human rights record in Bahrain, a commission said after mobs forced its offices to close their doors to the public.

The state-appointed Bahrain Commission of Inquiry announced it closed its offices after protesters fought with staff members. The offices were stormed following reports it had reached a decision saying the government hadn’t carried out abuses during a Shiite uprising early this year.

The commission in a statement published by the official Bahrain News Agency said it “would like to clarify that it has not made any such determination.”

Bahrain Center for Human Rights President Nabeel Rajab was quoted recently by CNN as saying nearly all those held by state security forces were abused in some fashion.

“No one was immune,” said Rajab. “Very rarely will you find someone who was not abused.”

Bahrain in early July started a dialogue process meant to examine possible improvements in the political structure. The government earlier received praise for transferring some trials from a military tribunal to civilian courts. Under a series of political reforms announced last month, the country’s prime minister of Bahrain is granted more power over the state’s affairs.

Human rights groups, however, have accused the ruling Sunni minority of using state hospitals as torture chambers.

The commission in its statement pledged to uphold “its mission to investigate the events in February and March.”

UPI - United Press International, Inc.

Since 1907, United Press International (UPI) has been a leading provider of critical information to media outlets, businesses, governments and researchers worldwide.