LONDON, Aug. 18 (UPI) — There is no excuse for violence targeting the Israeli military as regional partners work toward a peaceful solution to Middle East problems, world leaders said.
Israel Radio reported at least seven people were killed and another 30 were injured when at least 20 militants reportedly wearing Egyptian military uniforms stormed Israeli targets near the shared border.
Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu warned that his country would “respond accordingly,” calling the incident a violation of Israeli sovereignty.”
U.S. President Barack Obama condemned the “brutal terrorist attacks,” while British Middle East and North African Minister Alistair Burt said that while regional efforts for peace continue, “this brutality has no place, nor its perpetrators any excuse.”
Texas intelligence group Stratfor in a brief on the attacks noted the Israeli military launched airstrikes on southern Gaza hours after the assault but is likely to exercise caution.
It was unclear of Hamas played a role in the attack, Stratfor adds.
Egyptian security forces earlier this week launched a major Sinai Peninsula operation against Islamist cells, supposedly linked to al-Qaida, that have flourished in the region since the country’s revolution in February.
Israel gave its approval for the push, as did Hamas.