Attacks By Yemeni Government Kill Many
August 1, 2011 by UPI - United Press International, Inc.
SANAA, Yemen, Aug. 1 (UPI) — Yemeni military airstrikes and bombings throughout the country resulted in the deaths of four civilians and 15 militants, officials said Monday.
The Yemeni air force killed the suspected al-Qaida and other Islamic fighters and injured another 17 Monday in Zinjibar in the southern part of the country, the Italian news agency Agenzia Giornalistica Italia reported. The town’s major buildings had been under the insurgent group’s control since May.
Among the dead in Zinjibar was the local leader of the militant Islamic group Nader Shadadi.
In the Arhab district, outside of the nation’s capital Sanaa, Republican Guard bombs killed at least two people and injured 12 others Sunday night and early Monday morning, the Yemen Post reported.
The attacks on Arhab were in response to tribes taking over a Republican Guard camp Thursday.
An airstrike in the northern region Taiz left two people dead and another three injured, the newspaper said. Two of the injured were children, one of whom was in critical condition.
Witnesses say the government targeted the homes of tribes who oppose to the regime of President Ali Abdullah Saleh.
Taiz has been out of government control since May. Revolutionary youth groups in the region are condemning the government for attacks on civilians there, and asking for help from the international community.
In July, 45 people were killed by government forces, the Post said.