Average Federal Tax Refund: $2,803
March 11, 2013 by UPI - United Press International, Inc.
MCLEAN, Va. (UPI) — The average federal tax refund this year will be $2,803 and 35 percent of U.S. adults say they plan to spend all or part of theirs, a survey indicates.
For the third year in a row, Capital One Bank’s annual Taxes and Savings Survey found that most Americans — 85 percent — expect to get a refund.
The survey of 1,006 U.S. adults, conducted by Braun Research of Princeton N.J., also found 22 percent said they would use their refund to pay down debt, 16 percent said they would save it and 4 percent said they would invest the money.
Of those who plan to spend all or part of their refund this year:
– 30 percent will use it on everyday expenses and necessities.
– 23 percent will go on a vacation.
– 16 percent will buy clothing and accessories.
– 15 percent will spend it on an iPad, TV, smartphone or other electronics.
– 16 percent will purchase other major purchases.
The survey was conducted Feb. 5-10 and has a margin of error 3.1 percentage points.