What Mitt Romney Should Have Said
November 8, 2012 by Wayne Allyn Root
Hello, I’m Wayne Allyn Root for Personal Liberty. What a stunning and miserable day. Ronald Reagan gave us “Morning in America” — as in a new sunny morning. I feel like I just woke up in “Mourning in America” — as in mourning for the loss of this great country. And it’s all because, in politics, “nice” doesn’t work. Mitt Romney is a nice guy, a gentleman. But in politics, nice guys often finish last.
To win the election, and beat a sitting President, Romney needed to do more than nicely debate Barack Obama.
He needed to indict Obama.
Here is the speech that Romney should have given. Had he given this speech, we’d all be waking up to “Morning in America” — as in a bright, sunny day filled with opportunity.
Let me start by stressing that President Obama may be a nice man. He may be a good husband and father. He may love this country. He may think he is doing what is right. But the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Nice or not, Barack Obama believes government has the answer to every problem. He believes in punishment of the successful. He believes in income redistribution. He believes in massive spending and debt. He believes in so many rules, regulations and mandates that no one can open a lemonade stand anymore without permission from government.
Those beliefs destroy economies and kill jobs everywhere they’ve ever been tried. The U.S. economy under Obama is in crisis and free fall. You don’t need to look far to prove Obama’s policies are dangerous and deadly. Europe has been following Obama’s plan for decades: big government, big unions, big spending, big taxes, big entitlements, big pensions, free healthcare, too many government employees and unlimited spending on green energy and high speed rail. The result? Economic disaster on a grand scale. Greece, Italy and Spain are enduring a tragedy few can comprehend. France is next. Someday, we will read about this in history books.
America, under Barack Obama, is following the exact same path.
This is the state of the U.S. economy under Obama. Judge for yourselves:
- As of Election Day, unemployment is officially listed at 7.9 percent, the highest for any incumbent since FDR.
- More importantly, the real unemployment rate (including the under-employed and those who have given up looking) is in the range of 15 percent — higher than in most years of the Great Depression.
- Unemployment in the black community is 14.3 percent.
- Unemployment and under-employment for college graduates is a staggering 53 percent.
- The Labor Force Participation Rate among men is the lowest since 1948.
- Food stamp growth is 75 percent greater than job growth under Obama. Forty-six million Americans are now on food stamps.
- The record 11 million Americans on disability is larger than the population of a majority of U.S. States.
- Over 100 million Americans get entitlement checks.
- One-sixth of all personal income in the United States is now provided by government.
- The housing collapse is now deeper than at the peak of the Great Depression.
- The net worth of the average American is down 40 percent.
- New business startups are at the lowest level in 30 years.
- The U.S. credit rating has been downgraded for first time in history.
We are experiencing unimaginable economic wreckage, crisis and collapse from coast to coast.
None of this is a coincidence.
With 60,000 new rules, regulations and mandates in only three years, Obama has turned the entire U.S. economy into a “hostile work environment”:
- With Obama demonizing the wealthy and taunting entrepreneurs and financial risk-takers with “You didn’t build that.”
- With the Environmental Protection Agency attempting to put the coal industry completely out of business and end oil drilling.
- With thousands of new Internal Revenue Service agents hired to harass and intimidate business owners.
- With massive new tax increases looming.
- With 3,000 pages of Obamacare, containing 23 new taxes.
- With 2,000 pages of Dodd-Frank, making it much harder for banks to lend or for businessmen to raise money.
- With $115 trillion in debt and unfunded liabilities at the Federal level.
- With States, counties and cities even more broke and insolvent than the Federal government. The debt in Cook County, Illinois (Obama’s Chicago), is now an unimaginable $108 billion.
You have to question if this is incompetence or a purposeful plan to overwhelm the system with debt and entitlements, to collapse the U.S. economy and weaken faith in capitalism, to turn America into a European social state.
Obama tells us that he “saved” the auto industry. It’s his one and only accomplishment, so he repeats it 100 times a day. The reality is that he merely stole $25 billion from you and me (the taxpayers) to protect the pensions of auto union members who contributed tens of millions of dollars to his election. Now your children owe that $25 billion, plus interest – and you don’t even get a car! But Obama allowed private sector autoworkers to lose their pensions (because they didn’t contribute to him), while closing only auto dealerships owned by Republican contributors. This is all immoral, if not criminal.
Ladies and gentleman, we have to change direction:
- Before we have no country left to defend.
- Before we have no economy left to rebuild.
- Before unions strangle the life out of the private sector.
- Before taxpayers are sucked dry to pay for a food stamp and unemployment benefits economy.
- Before “free” healthcare adds trillions of dollars in debt to our children’s burden.
- Before Obama’s extreme views on energy leave us all dependent on nations that hate America and support terrorism.
- Before Obama uses executive orders to render Congress and the Constitution meaningless.
- Before every terrorist attack is given a politically correct name.
- Before more victims are blamed when Islamic radicals slaughter them over a cartoon, book or film.
- Before every Bible is permanently removed from our military bases and hospitals.
- Before all religious celebrations, except Ramadan, are permanently removed from our White House.
- Or before 6 million Israelis are wiped out in a second holocaust due to a foreign policy of apology, appeasement and indifference.
This is our last stand. For capitalism. For small business. For the American Dream. For our Judeo-Christian values. For our small businesses. For our children and grandchildren’s future. For the survival of the American Dream. And yes, for our guns and Bibles.
When you walk into that polling place to vote, remember that Osama bin Laden is dead. And so is a U.S. border agent who died in the Fast and Furious scandal. And so is our Ambassador and three heroes abandoned and left to die at our Libyan embassy. And so is the U.S. economy.
Remember that even at this moment, as broke as America is, Obama is giving $450 million of your taxpayer money to the radical Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt.
Remember Obama denigrates those who cling to old-fashioned ideas: God, country, faith, family, capitalism and our American exceptionalism.
Remember Obama presided over a Democratic convention that booed God three times.
Forgive, but never forget. Now, let’s go out and reclaim our country. God Bless America.
That was the speech Romney should have given. The American people needed to hear the raw, unvarnished truth without sugar-coating.
The key to Romney’s getting elected as President wasn’t to debate Obama. It was to indict Obama. Being “nice” and refusing to offend anyone just re-elected Obama. It may lead to the end of America as we know it.
Well, I’m not Romney. I’m not waving any white flags. I’m a Tea Party conservative. I’m going to fight hard and aggressively. And I’m going to help take back our country. This battle has only just begun.
I’ll be back next week with my commentary on what went wrong and why and what the GOP must do moving forward to build a winning coalition. I’m Wayne Allyn Root for PersonalLiberty.com. God Bless.