Defense Department Apologizes For Accidental Killings
December 23, 2011 by Sam Rolley
Already frail U.S.-Pakistan relations were strained last month when a cross border air raid resulted in the death of two dozen Pakistani soldiers.
Pakistan responded to the killings by shutting off key U.S. supply routes into Afghanistan, according to International Business Times.
The Defense Department in a recent statement said of the military action, “given what information they had available to them at the time, acted in self-defense and with appropriate force after being fired upon. [We] also found that there was no intentional effort to target persons or places known to be part of the Pakistani military, or to deliberately provide inaccurate location information to Pakistani officials.”
The department blames “inadequate coordination by U.S. and Pakistani military officers operating through the border coordination center” for the accidental killings of the Pakistani soldiers.
“For the loss of life — and for the lack of proper coordination between U.S. and Pakistani forces that contributed to those losses — we express our deepest regret,” said the Defense Department statement. “We further express sincere condolences to the Pakistani people, to the Pakistani government, and most importantly to the families of the Pakistani soldiers who were killed or wounded.”
The Pakistani government, at the time this article was written, had not responded to the apology.