Candidate Moussa irked by SCAF
October 3, 2011 by UPI - United Press International, Inc.
The ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces last week said parliamentary elections in the country would start Nov. 28. A new Parliament would be installed in April with presidential elections scheduled for late 2012.
Moussa, former Arab League secretary-general, said a civilian government should take control sooner than that, Egyptian newspaper Al-Masry Al-Youm reports.
Several political parties last week expressed outrage over a SCAF decision to set one-third of the parliamentary seats aside for independent candidates. Critics expressed concern this would give members of the former ruling National Democratic Party another chance to play a political role in Egypt.
SCAF officials met during the weekend with 13 political parties to examine a deal that considered the banning of NDP officials from politics, the end to emergency rule and revisions in the electoral law.
SCAF has endured criticism over its oversight of the transition process that followed the collapse of Hosni Mubarak's regime early this year. Political parties had threatened to boycott upcoming elections as an expression of their frustration.