Chlorine Leak Sends 20 To Hospital
August 15, 2011 by UPI - United Press International, Inc.
SACRAMENTO, Aug. 15 (UPI) — A chlorine leak at a wave pool in Sacramento Monday sent about 20 people to hospitals, firefighters said.
KCRA-TV, Sacramento, reported firefighters declared a Level 2 hazardous materials incident at Raging Waters, a water park located on the grounds of Cal Expo.
“All we know right now is there was some sort of mechanical failure with the chlorine system that delivers the chlorine — it’s a liquefied chlorine — into the wave pool,” Assistant Fire Chief Niko King said. “And somehow it sounds like too much came out at once.”
Witnesses told the TV station water in the wave pool turned green and started bubbling, causing some people to start dry heaving.
“We were in the wave pool and a big cloud of chemical was released,” pool attendee Alyssa Dronenburg said. “All of a sudden it was just really hard to breathe. It hurt the back of your throat. It was hurting people’s eyes. We just had to get out of the water.
“There was no notification of what was going on. The lifeguards had no idea what was going on.”
KCRA said the victims included nine youths, eight adult visitors and three park workers.
Raging Waters spokesman Joe Pinell said the water park was cooperating with state officials and the wave pool would be closed until an investigation is completed.