China Eases Birth Restrictions For Victims
August 6, 2011 by UPI - United Press International, Inc.
ZHOUQU, China, Aug. 6 (UPI) — China has relaxed its birth-planning policy for families that lost children in a mudslide last year that killed more than 1,700 people, officials said.
Surgery to reverse previous sterilization procedures has been provided to 27 families and is available free of charge to residents of Zhouqu, in Gansu Province, Xinhua, China’s official state news agency, reported.
A massive mudslide on Aug. 8, 2010, left many families with dead children.
Chinese officials said families can replace the lost children, relaxing laws restricting most Chinese families to one child, although in Zhouqu, rural families are permitted two children.
“With people, we can have everything,” said Yang Chaomei, matriarch of a family that lost all eight children in the mudslide.
Yang said she was happy to see two daughters-in-law have children after the mudslide. “I hope I can have a grandson who will inherit the family line,” Yang said.
A government-affiliated group said it would give a cash subsidy of about $1,550 to each of the 225 single mothers in Zhouqu living below the poverty line.
The funds will help impoverished single mothers take care of their families, said Han Keyin, head of the women’s federation of Gansu.
Workers were on schedule to complete reconstruction projects in the region, the report said. Crews have begun 108 of 170 reconstruction projects planned.